a few questions :)

Things to add in the future versions
Mace-x

a few questions :)

Postby Mace-x » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:45 am

-how does the physics works?
i feel the vehicles like hovercrafts :(

-aside from the 1.0 and 2.0 versions, will there be dlc´s?

-How much will you charge for the game?
what about $5 right now for beta, $10 for offline and $15 for online?
or something like that, to help you guys with some funding and to do faster/further job on the proyect.

-will we have water? (generally like)

-does the game have different grip settings for tarmac, mud, dirt, sand, etc.?

-will there be terrain deformation?
it´s mostly visual, but would look great :P

-will the camera be dynamic?
i mean, having a closer to the car vision that follows the car, for a bigger track.

i gave this project for a dead one, i´m so happy and excited that this is coming, i´ll try to promote the game as much as i can :)
Best wishes and good luck guys! :D

luis
Developer

Re: a few questions :)

Postby luis » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:56 pm

Mace-x wrote:-how does the physics works?
i feel the vehicles like hovercrafts :(

We use Physx's vehicle simulation, perhaps it slides too much but we did it because we think it is more fun! you can change it editing physics params:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24
Mace-x wrote:-aside from the 1.0 and 2.0 versions, will there be dlc´s?

Sure! We'll add premium packs and new versions and of course incentivate user created content ;)

Mace-x wrote:-How much will you charge for the game?
what about $5 right now for beta, $10 for offline and $15 for online?
or something like that, to help you guys with some funding and to do faster/further job on the proyect.

We will keep the offline version free, because we want to build a community but we're considering other ways like crowdfunding to speed up game development.
Polls you can vote:
offline: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=148
online: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=149

Mace-x wrote:-will we have water? (generally like)

Yes, and with some home-made simulation on physics. But this feature is out of the list right now.
Mace-x wrote:-does the game have different grip settings for tarmac, mud, dirt, sand, etc.?

not right now, but it shouldn't be difficult to implement, the only reason we didn't yet is because integrating physics materials in the GBEditor is a bit complicated. And there are more important things before like the "undo" feature !
Mace-x wrote:-will there be terrain deformation?
it´s mostly visual, but would look great :P

I don't think so... maybe... maybe not, what I really want is skid marks. It is in our list.
Mace-x wrote:-will the camera be dynamic?
i mean, having a closer to the car vision that follows the car, for a bigger track.

good news, it is already done, bigger tracks (by editing track's cfg or setting it in editor) and cameras. Just press F1, F2, F3, F4 (wasd + right mouse click to change orientation).
Mace-x wrote:i gave this project for a dead one, i´m so happy and excited that this is coming, i´ll try to promote the game as much as i can :)
Best wishes and good luck guys! :D

Thanks ! any kind of promotion is a great help for us :)

stray_soul
regular face

Postby stray_soul » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:18 am

not right now, but it shouldn't be difficult to implement, the only reason we didn't yet is because integrating physics materials in the GBEditor is a bit complicated. And there are more important things before like the "undo" feature !

but what if you make a special texture to determine the type of coverage
like this:
original map
and if the pixel color under the car for example = 255 0 0, apply asphalt grip settings, asphalt skidmarks, asphalt effects(smoke).
if the pixel color under the car = 255 0 255, apply grass grip settings, grass skidmarks, grass effects.
and this can be done for each wheel

good news, it is already done, bigger tracks (by editing track's cfg or setting it in editor) and cameras. Just press F1, F2, F3, F4 (wasd + right mouse click to change orientation).

how to make the top down camera move with the car

Mace-x

Postby Mace-x » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:48 am

yeah, that´s a ´retty goodidea, just like mx vs atv reflex does :)

question regarding vehicle physics:
why does the vehicle stabilizes itself in midair, it´s impossible to flip a car, i´d like to be able to do so, that would make the game way more enjoyable.

as far as the physics seem to be right i´d like a 1nsane style physics, dont know if you played that, was sick!

luis
Developer

Postby luis » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:27 am

@stray_soul:
first: I'd love to see that track in TW :p
second: yes, it is easy to implement that way, but what I meant by difficult is adding that feature in the GBEditor so the user can "draw" with different physics materials in the editor. One way would be to assign a physic material for each existing diffuse texture used in the editor, but doing so we force to use the textures as physic materials so, all tracks will look even more similar and visually boring.

So, probably an easy solution will be to put that functionality outside the editor, so the game will load something like: trackname_physics.png and use R & G components as a multiplier factor for static and dynamic friction, for example:

Code: Select all

final lateral/longitudinal static friction = ((Red component) / 128 ) * (static friction in car cfg file)
final lateral/longitudinal dynamic friction = ((Green component) / 128 ) * (dynamic friction in car cfg file)

so if the trackname_physics.png does not exist everything will work as always and the user can load that .png as a mask to see it in the editor. Since the mask can be reloaded with one click, you could be edditing that png in photoshop and reload in the editor to see if it is aligned with the road.
We could also create an specific button for physic image mask in the Editor so you can see both, diffuse and physic mask and add a slider to control alpha blending in the physic mask in order to see diffuse and physic mask (and see the road + physics friction).

R & G component will be in the range of [0,255] so if the value is 128 the factor will be 1 (no change in physics materials).

sound ok to me... any suggestion ?

luis
Developer

Postby luis » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:28 am

Mace-x wrote:yeah, that´s a ´retty goodidea, just like mx vs atv reflex does :)

question regarding vehicle physics:
why does the vehicle stabilizes itself in midair, it´s impossible to flip a car, i´d like to be able to do so, that would make the game way more enjoyable.

as far as the physics seem to be right i´d like a 1nsane style physics, dont know if you played that, was sick!

well, flipping the car during a race is not fun ! but if you want, you could try setting the antisway force to zero ;)

stray_soul
regular face

Postby stray_soul » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:52 am

luis it's sounds good for me
and what about the axis of rotation and displacement like in 3DS max fo GBEditor
and scale factor in car.cfg, for body and wheel models would be good
& how to make the top down camera followed the car?

luis
Developer

Postby luis » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:20 am

stray_soul wrote:luis it's sounds good for me
and what about the axis of rotation and displacement like in 3DS max fo GBEditor
and scale factor in car.cfg, for body and wheel models would be good
& how to make the top down camera followed the car?

I don't remember exactly but I think the rotation point is the insertion point in the object. I did it because I thought it is easier for the user... specially to avoid leaving objects underground.
what says that panel in the screenshot? I can't read it. I think it is the x,y,z for this object ?
What I really miss in the GBEditor is the undo feature, specially editing the terrain.

Scale factor for visual model in car cfg, OK

About camera, there are 4 types of camera:
F1: first person
F2: 3rd person behind car
F3: top-down (orthogonal perspective)
F4: Free camera

You mean something like top-down in GTA2 ?
https://www.google.com/search?q=gta2&hl=en&prmd=imvnsa&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CogWUOm6H-aj0QW1zIDIBQ&ved=0CD8Q_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=873

it is in our roadmap already!
I think I'll make a thread so I could list all features and wishes asked by users, then I'll sort the list by priority and check each feature implemented.
We have so far in this thread (aproved):

Code: Select all

- physics materials in the terrain
- new camera
- scale factor for visual model in car cfg
- water

luis
Developer

Postby luis » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:39 am

here is the list:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=152

stray_soul
regular face

Postby stray_soul » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:48 am

I don't remember exactly but I think the rotation point is the insertion point in the object. I did it because I thought it is easier for the user... specially to avoid leaving objects underground.
what says that panel in the screenshot? I can't read it. I think it is the x,y,z for this object ?

Yes, i was referring to a tool to move objects only x axis or y or z, and the same for rotation
You mean something like top-down in GTA2 ?

no, like rock n roll racing https://www.google.com/search?q=gta2&hl=en&prmd=imvnsa&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CogWUOm6H-aj0QW1zIDIBQ&ved=0CD8Q_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=873#hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=rock+n+roll+racing&oq=rock+n+roll+r&gs_l=img.1.0.0l9.543.1565.2.2668.2.2.0.0.0.0.374.609.2-1j1.2.0...0.0...1c._TFxUfY1EVc&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=ab2c23916f13f17&biw=1318&bih=801
I think I'll make a thread so I could list all features and wishes asked by users, then I'll sort the list by priority and check each feature implemented.

it would be perfect

luis
Developer

Postby luis » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:56 am

ok, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0EU1ocGjrY
(amiga super skidmarks)

I've updated the list ;)

stray_soul
regular face

Postby stray_soul » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:08 pm

ok, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0EU1ocGjrY
(amiga super skidmarks)

Yes, and parameter in .track file to change default camera

luis
Developer

Postby luis » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:27 am

stray_soul wrote:Yes, and parameter in .track file to change default camera

done ;)

luis
Developer

Postby luis » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:21 am

I'm going on vacations almost all august so the development will be on hold for a while (although GUI development should continue since Jose/urosidoki is in charge).
I think all features could be implemented in 4 months from now... so be patient! we'll release .zip files with latests versions and release candidate once we have something to show!

Mace-x

Postby Mace-x » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:58 pm

sweet, thanks! :D

Return to “Evolution”